Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BYU REL A 121...Journal Papers

Well, I've noticed a significant decline in my blogging since I arrived home from my mission, so I'm trying to find something to pick it up again. I figure I can kill two birds with one stone if I use material I'm already writing for school. Seeing how this blog is intended as a missionary tool, it seems appropriate to use my papers from my Book of Mormon class as content.
These papers are submitted each week and contain thoughts on the assigned reading for the week.
---
In addition, now that I've figured out a little bit about how to move forward in college life, I may just have the time to write a few more personal blogs about what college at BYU is like. Of course, I want to remain true to the purpose of this blog, but I don't want to bore people to tears.
---
1 Ne. 1-5



I don’t think I’ve ever seriously considered the first verse of the Book of Mormon, 1Ne. 1:1. I know I’ve heard others discuss different aspects of this verse, such as “being born of goodly parents,” or “being taught somewhat in all the learning of my father.” But today I had a realization of my own.
Nephi says that he had seen “many afflictions” in the course of his days. I know from past reading that he did. He was led across the world by the Lord, suffering from the rigors of the journey and because of his older brothers. He saw in vision that his posterity would become extinct. He struggled to teach his people to love the Lord in a strange new land.
But Nephi quickly added that he had been “highly favored of the Lord” in all his days.
The natural man, having suffered as Nephi had suffered, would not agree. It was because of Nephi’s faith and obedience that he was able to see things as he did. And it comforts me to know that when I suffer, I’m in good company; all great men of the Lord were sorely tried, and Christ, the greatest of all, descended below all things. But where is he now? Even as He descended below all things, He has ascended to the right hand of the Father. And the prophets, where are they? We speak of entering into the rest of the Lord as sitting down with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the holy prophets.
Life will be (and indeed has been) extremely difficult. But I know God is merciful. He blesses those who love Him and who follow His Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. What do you think?