Sunday, December 4, 2011

When I'm alone

The following is a song written by the band Nevertheless, called When I'm Alone. I think it's about coping with the loss of a loved one. But I've noticed that songs about people we love can often be interpreted as being about one's relationship with God. 
When I hear this song, I think of the person who is "gone" as God; and I don't think it's because He left, but more because we tend to leave Him.
Sometimes, when things are hardest, it seems that He just stands back and lets us struggle. Looking back on struggles, we can see His love and involvement, and how the struggle may have defined us. But in the moment, it feels like being abandoned.
---


It's been years in the making
In my skin, I'm shaking from the cold
I am tired from the taking 
And my heart won't stop breaking 
And I know
I know


Moving forward can't be this hard


I'm still trying to find out who I am
On my own


I had you right beside me
Now you're gone
And I know
That when the room clears
I'm still here


Who am I when I'm alone?


They say time is a healer
It's more like a concealer for a scar


Because it never really leaves us
It can always find us where we are


Who thought it could ever be so hard?


I'm just trying to find out who I am
On my own


I had you right beside me
Now you're gone
And I know 
That when the room clears
I'm still here


Who am I when I'm alone?
Alone.


There's so much I should have said 
When time was wearing thin
You're not here but someday I know
I'll see you again


I'm just trying to find out who I am
On my own


I had you right beside me 
But now you're gone
You're gone


And I know 
That when the room clears
I'm still here


Who am I when I'm alone?
---


I can't imagine how difficult it would be to live in the world with no belief in God. To live without the knowledge that Jesus Christ knows exactly what we go through...I can't imagine how alone I would feel.
But even knowing that He loves us, we still need others. We need people who we can see and have conversations with, who we can touch and reach out to. 
I know God lives; I've just never seen Him, touched Him, or spoken with him conversationally. His love is ultimately the most important thing; yet life is not really worth living without the love of others, without giving our love to others.

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing, Michael! Such an example of keeping Christ the center of our lives. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. What do you think?