Monday, December 27, 2010

Leah's Conversion

This is a continuation of "The Reason I Came".
Last week, I received this poem from the younger of the two Heffelfinger girls, Leah. It's difficult to describe what this poem represents to me. I still remember the first time I sat on the couch in the living room and got to meet her and the rest of the family. I remember the eagerness to learn, and the awkwardness in having a Mormon missionary in the home for the first time. I can hardly believe the progression I have seen. She started with a yearning for hope. That desire grew into faith, and as she learned more and more about the truth of the gospel, that faith has yielded joy in the midst of incredible turmoil. She was baptized, and she committed her life to Christ earlier this year. Her seminary teacher asked her to write her feelings about the prophet Joseph Smith. Here is a poem that has inspired me, written from a young woman who has not yet belonged to the true church for even a year:












JOSEPH SMITH POEM

Nearly a year ago I began my journey
To be able to see without my eyes
I learned what Christ really meant,
and how no one really ever dies

I learned about the Atonement,
I even saw it in my life,
With my dad-
and all that strife

And today, in this class
I get to think about the one who started it all
His name was Joseph Smith,
That guy whose picture is on the wall

He was around my age, when he opened that Bible,
Asking for an answer
From someone who was reliable

He was as lost as I was,
Confused about the truth
Wanting that Spirit in his heart,
Even though he was just a youth

A lot like you and me,
Sitting here today,
Just another boy,
Who wanted to know the way.

We make mistakes,
I bet he did too,
But he did something no one else did,
And I think that deserves a thank you.

Because ultimately, without him,
We wouldnt be sitting in this room
Together, with our eyes not so dim

I'm now a Latter-day Saint,
With a new picture that I can paint
A picture of my life,
Because I never thought that I would end up here,
With a newfound strength, and no fear

So here's to that man we know as Joseph Smith,
Who I didn't get a chance to know in this life,
But because of you, it's God that I'll be with.

You changed my life,
And many others too,
So here it is-
My thank you.

I will be writing more, for them, and for me, so we can remember the miracle that took place in all of our lives during their conversion process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. What do you think?