Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Turnin' the Other Cheek

Now, in this post, I'll try to be humorous but hopefully not degrading or offensive. I hope that you can feel some of what I felt in this situation.
A few weeks ago, Elder Sargent and I went over to a lady who is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but who is not active in her faith. Her name is Sister Bird. She's been making good progress in coming back. But when we walked in, we were met by her father and step mother, who introduced themselves by sort of snorting, looking away, and saying, "We used to have the missionaries over, but my wife scared them all away."
The step mom looked up and gave us the stinkeye.
It was one of those times on a mission you never forget.

I've noticed that some people love to speculate about the life of Joseph Smith, and criminalize him, or take doctrines and stretch them to cast negative views on the Church. Next come the faith vs. works debates, and the arguments about the nature of the Godhead or Trinity. Then, upon our testifying about the Book of Mormon, they always say, "We've read just enough of it to know it is from Satan." Of course, this means that they have taken a list from the internet and looked up specific scriptures that they (nor the author of the list) don't even understand, and use them as ammunition in their claims that the Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith.
In all these things there is abundant evidence, for those who want to get down to the nitty gritty, to refute their claims and support the church and the gospel. I knew just what I could say. But those kinds of discussions do not invite the Spirit. With our intent being to help others come unto Christ, it definitely does not help at all to become argumentative and bash with people.
Truth cuts its own path anyway.
I had a rather rough time though. I'm not good at dealing with direct criticism, and I'm not good at sitting there while people try to defraud everything I stand for.
But the Spirit was rather direct that we needed to just nod, smile, and not say anything.
I prayed to be able to follow that prompting.
After a while, we felt we could leave. It just felt like it was right. So we smiled, having not spoken much at all during this barrage, and shook everyone's hands, had a prayer, and left.
I wondered what it was all for.
We figured it out upon our next visit as Sister Bird opened up in a way she hadn't before. She talked about how her faith had been strengthened because of the way we handled ourselves. She talked about how the Spirit left the room as soon as her parents started in bashing. And she opened up about her fears with coming back to church. Now we know what we need to talk about there to help her move forward. I've been working with her for months and never saw so much progression so quickly.
That was definitely a testimony builder.

Christ invited people to listen to Him. Not everyone did. But even the Creator of the earth and the Savior of the world didn't force anyone to listen.
He said, simply,
"Come, and see." John 1:39
"Follow me" John 12:26
"Come unto me." 3Nephi 9:14, Matt. 11:28

I know that the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is on the earth today. I know that there is a prophet who guides Christ's church. I know that the Book of Mormon is true, and is a companion to the Holy Bible.
I know why I'm here, where I came from, and where I'm going.
So I invite you to come, and see.
If you would like to learn more, feel free to send me a message or email me, or visit www.mormon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. What do you think?