Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spiral Staircase

I wrote this little poem in Billings on my mission. It just came out this way.

---
Life's a spiral staircase
You never get off
Will you sit at the bottom
Or rise to the top?

You may face the same problems
Again and again
But with each step you're stronger
As you ascend.

He built the Staircase
And He waits for you
Just one step ahead.
Now what will you do?
---
Coming home from a mission, I've found that life has changed very little since I left. And I'm still the same person I was, but I can see the growth in myself and in those around me, even as we display the same weaknesses we've had our whole lives.
The day will come when we will be able to look back and see perfectly where we have come, and how we have arrived.
I didn't want the imagery of a spiral staircase to imply that life is a boring, endless cycle either. Just to say that we often struggle with the same issues over an extended period of time, but become stronger and rise higher with each round.

1 comment:

  1. This is inspiring. The message from that poem is so true. Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. What do you think?