Friday, November 5, 2010

Finding a Family

Yesterday, my companion and I woke up, looked at eachother, and said, "Today is the day we find our family." That may sound like a funny phrase to some. What I mean by that is, we were determined to locate a family that is interested in learning about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
I can't explain the feeling that came over us that day other than to say it was the Spirit of the Lord. We just knew we were going to find a family.
Everything we did during that day was focused on finding the family that we knew was waiting for us. We had scouted out two streets earlier that week, looking for houses with objects or clues to indicate a young family living there.
We began to knock on the doors, having mild success, when we felt we needed to ask a local member of the church who she knew on the street that we could contact. She began to talk about the neghbors around, giving us an idea of who would be good to go see. No one she described sounded particulary open to our message, but we were grateful for the help, and we determined that we would go and visit the families she suggested. Then, just as we were about to go, she remembered a special friend of hers who had been having troubles and who she felt would love the message we share. Her face lit up as she spoke.
A feeling of urgency and excitement filled my companion and me.
 I recognized it instantly as the Spirit. We knew we had found our family. Then, on top of the description she gave, and the accompanying feeling of the Spirit, she mentioned how her friend is a gymnastics coach. That is not a common profession. I am also a gymnastics coach. It seemed too good to be true.
Well, it wasn't too good to be true. We left this great woman's house, and headed over to visit her friend right away.
We knocked. She answered the door, and her face lit up.

"You know who we are," we said, beaming. She was smiling too, and by her face we knew that she did in fact know who we are. "We would love to share a message with your family about our Heavenly Father's plan for you." We gave her a taste of the message about how families can be together forever. "When can we share the rest of this great meessage with you?" She said, "I would love to hear your message, and talk with you! I'm sorry that I can't right now; I'm just headed out to parent teacher conferences at the school. When could we set up a time to meet?"
The words in type seem straightforward, but the Spirit and feeling behind them was incredibly strong. We could see that she felt it, even with little of the message being shared. I can't explain it. We needed to be on that doorstep right then.
I mentioned how I am a gymnastics coach, and she was excited to have the opportunity to talk to me about it when we meet next.
We don't know what will come of our meetings. But I am sure that it was divinely appointed, and feel confident that the message will be recieved.

Heavenly Father does have a plan for families. We can be together with the ones we love forever, if we live faithful. This is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. To learn more about eternal families, Jesus Christ, or His restored gospel, visit http://www.mormon.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. What do you think?